If you have ever wondered what those giant, colorful blocks are on the sides of buildings and other structures throughout Haywood County, now is the perfect time to learn! They are called Quilt Blocks and are part of a rapidly growing attraction in Haywood County. The blocks make up the Haywood County Quilt Trail (HCQT) and each one is unique in itself as it represents a special story about the area it is located. There are almost fifty total blocks on the HCQT and you can now enter to win your very own that will be added to this beloved trail.
The Haywood County Tourism Development Authority, who manages the trail, is excited to announce the kick off of a raffle program where you can enter to win your very own 4×4 foot quilt block. The designated block is the “Gateway to the Smokies” Spring edition (shown above) which features a trio of trillium blossoms and two bear paws situated below the mountains and an arch, representing the gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains.
Raffle tickets can be purchased through the Haywood County TDA by calling 828-452-0152 or by stopping by the TDA visitor center at 44 N. Main St. in Waynesville. The block is currently on display at the visitor center as well. The cost is $25 per ticket or five for $100 and are capped at a total of 10 tickets per person. The drawing will be held on Friday, May 6th as part of the week-long celebration of National Travel and Tourism Week.
The TDA does want to emphasize that because the block will be featured on the Haywood County Quilt Trail, it is required to remain in the county and must be installed on a building or structure that can be accessed or viewed by the public year-round. But don’t fret! If you don’t live in Haywood County, we will provide you with a smaller replica of the block to have AND we will help you find a location within our beautiful county to place the actual 4×4 foot block!
If you’ve been considering a quilt block for your business, barn, or other structure, the TDA highly encourages you to contact them to purchase tickets.
All proceeds from the raffle will go to benefit the future development and enhancement of the Haywood County Quilt Trail, which means the addition of more blocks and merchandise to promote this popular trail! To learn more about the trail, visit https://haywoodquilttrails.com/. And don’t worry – if you don’t win the block, you can still apply and purchase your very own block to become part of the quilt trail.
Want to buy a ticket it or find out more info? Call us at 828-452-0152 or email email@example.com.
Full Raffle Guidelines:
· The raffle is for one (1) 4×4 foot “Gateway to the Smokies” Spring Block
· Drawing will be held on Friday, May 6th, 2016
· Raffle ticket price: $25.00 each or 5 for $100
· Limit 10 tickets per person/business
· The block MUST remain in Haywood County.
· Raffle tickets can be purchased by anyone but the winner of the block must agree to have the blocked featured on the Haywood County Quilt Trail. This means the block must be installed on a building or structure that can be publicly accessed and viewed year-round in Haywood County. It cannot be placed on private property that does not allow visitors to frequent the block.
· If the block is won by someone residing outside of Haywood County that does not own the building or structure for which the block is placed, the HCTDA will have a smaller replica of the block created for the winner to have.
· The winner will have one week to claim their prize.
· The winner must choose a location for the block within 30 days of claiming the prize. The HCTDA is happy to offer suggestions of locations for the block if needed.