It’s no secret that as the weather starts warming up, a delicious craft brew really hits the spot. To quench your thirst for beer and adventure, this area of the North Carolina Smokies is serving up the perfect pairing of outdoor activities and unique craft brews that will have you coming back year after year to see what is on tap. Better still, all our local breweries offer outdoor pet-friendly spaces!
We are home to three award winning local microbreweries, among a mix of other watering holes:
Latest Brew News for 2021
Sip back and relax with a cold one right along the water’s edge at BearWaters Brewing Company’s two Haywood County locations. Cool off in Canton right along the Pigeon River while watching paddle boarders and river tubers float by. Or stop by their newest location right along a tranquil babbling creek in Maggie Valley. With indoor and outdoor seating options these lively locations are perfect for families and pets.
- Belgian beer lovers can now try the Belgian Flight with Lemongrass Saison, I’m Seeing Dubbel, Oak Aged Three Bears Tripel, and Smells Like Money Belgian Dark Strong Ale.
- Lemondrop Saison, a spring inspired creation loaded with Lemondrop and African Queen hops, is now available for the season.
- Also new for the spring is Açaí Frenzy Sour, made with açaí, blueberry, coconut, and oats.
Enjoy a craft beer or specialty cocktail with a meal that will make your mouth water. This gem of a brewery is located in Downtown Waynesville and has a drink selection that everyone will love. Hang out on their outdoor patio or hop inside for a relaxed atmosphere. Don’t forget to check out their live music and events!
- Brewery favorite Ruby Blood Orange Pale Ale is back in season.
- Hop lovers can now pick up a six-pack of Gem & Juice.
- Triclops Tripel, a longtime draft, is now available in cans
- Outdoor dog friendly deck is now open for the season.
- Downstairs area, The Gem, is now re-open at 50% capacity
Frog Level Brewing
You’ll be as hoppy as a frog at this Waynesville micro-brewery. Frog Level Brewing offers tasty brews on tap and pub fare favorites for your family and friends to enjoy. This casual space has indoor and outdoor areas to chill—including a beautiful creekside beer garden with live music.
- Live music returned to the Bohemian Jean stage.
- Experimental Small Batch Tuesdays features new and exciting brews like Spiced Brown Ale and Pomegranate Sour.
- Sister-brewery 7 Clans Brewing is Indigenous-owned and brews at Frog Level.
- The FLT Kitchen is open from noon until the tap room closes.
In addition to these fantastic breweries, you can find several local businesses offering a fine selection of local craft beers like Mad Anthony’s who features over 50 craft brews on tap and a new pizza restaurant, Dough Boys. Bosu’s Wine Shop, The Classic Wineseller, and Sunburst Market all offer a wide variety of local wines and craft beverages. You will also find many regional beers at Blue Ridge Beer Hub in addition to home brewing equipment if you’d like to try your hand at it too.
Earn your beer
Wanting to get outside in this beautiful Spring weather? All these locations sell cans you can grab to take with you on your next adventure. Camping is always better with a cold beer, right? Just remember to respect Leave No Trace rules when enjoying the outdoors! Here are a few hikes and backpacking spots to consider for earning your brew:
Fall for Craft Brews
Now is a great time to consider booking your trip to Haywood for October’s North Carolina Beer Month. Events have been moved to the fall this year, with the hope that beer fans can gather once again to raise a glass to the finest in craft brews. The celebration highlights the incredible economic impact craft breweries have had on our economy, and of course, delicious beer. Just another reason why North Carolina has been named “The State of Southern Beer.” Stay tuned for a calendar of events filled with beer, food and great music.
Now that you have the scoop on our breweries, hop on over to Haywood to enjoy your perfect flight of authentic outdoor experiences and the best craft beers. Make sure to book a room nearby…that’s just a friendly reminder to drink responsibly! Don’t forget to tag @VisitNCSmokies or use #HayNow on social and show us how you enjoy your favorite brew spots.