Length: 1.4 miles
Dogs: On Leash
Sitting on the border of North Carolina and Tennessee, Max Patch features 360 views and sits along the Appalachian Trail. This 4,600 foot mountain bald offers acres of wide open clearings with amazing, unobstructed views of surrounding mountains. You can see the Smokies and Mount Mitchell from the top of Max Patch. Several hikes can be accessed from here, including a popular section of the Appalachian Trail. Hike up the incline and enjoy a picnic or walk around to explore the surrounding summits.
Stop into nearby Clyde, NC to fuel up for your Max Patch hike at one of our restaurants.
- Kid Friendly, great hike for a picnic or stargazing.
- Gravel roads up to parking lot can be icy in the Winter.
- Parking lot fills up quickly during warmer months, get here early to get a prime parking spot before a sunset.
- Can be very windy and chilly on the bald.
- You must practice Leave No Trace, take all trash with you (not just to parking lot)
Heading West on I 40 take Exit 7 for Harmon Den. Right on Cold Springs Creek Rd for 6 miles. Left onto State Route 1182 / Max Patch Rd. Parking and trailhead will be on right. **If parking lot is full, it is illegal to park along the side of the road. You may get a ticket. Wait
Share your adventures with us: @visitncsmokies and #haynow